Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Blog-o-Lutions

A few madcap ideas for my blog in 2008 have been dancing in my head, and after reading M5K's entry for the day, I've been inspired to follow through by making a bold public declaration to all three of you who read this.

They are my Blog-o-Lutions for 2008, my personal evolution in blogging, a solution for my annual ennui (cause I always feel better with a mission), a revolution in creative dedication, my New Year's Resolutions. All blatantly adapted from a lot of really great ideas other people have already come up with, hopefully all duly referenced in this post.

I only hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Here goes:

  1. I will post every day in January, March, May, July, September, and November. This is more interesting than just doing it everyday in November as part of NaBloPoMo, but is less terrifying than the 366 leap year commitment. It gives me permission to have bursts of intensity while totally flaking out for half the year. Works for me.
  2. I'll be aiming to get more art on the blog - I'm groovin' on the recipes and the DEMOS, so more of them. I'm still wondering if I want to dive into participating in any of the big inspiration sites like Illustration Friday or Self-Portrait Challenge, but for January, I'm going to post a drawing a day. Doesn't have to be complicated, can be on a post-it, whatever. I'm just going to draw something everyday.
Ok. That's it. Here's the first drawing. Quick sketch done from a picture I took of myself while I was on the phone. Colored with marker. Emphasis on rapid: note the remaining pencil lines. Not crazy about the yellow highlights on the face - think it looks like I have weird yellow pockets of puff under my chin and over my eyes - but it manages to capture my self-absorbed manner of multi-tasking and my secret desire to be interesting enough to be the topic of my own reality-based TV show or a photo spread in People Magazine. Hmmm. I can feel the ennui lifting already as I drift into fantasy land . . .

5 comments:

gl. said...

wow! a drawing every day! i'm in awe!

i didn't think i had any blogolutions, but more art would be a nice start. hmm.

Sven Bonnichsen said...

I'm a fan of the quick'n'dirty drawing style... So often it has more life to it than polished pieces -- and it's the liveliness, perhaps more than anything else, that I reallly seem to respond to.

Michael5000 said...

Woo-hoo! I inspired! I inspired!

I knew I had a purpose on this planet....

Michael5000 said...

Interestingly, I can not recall my own resolutions from three days ago for the life of me. I will have to follow that link.

In my defense, I've been drinking. Or perhaps that's in my prosecution. Whatever.

Happy New Year, Bridget!!

Bridget said...

Sven - I like the rough and dirty drawing, too - though I have to admit sometimes the polish appeals as well.

MK5 - and yes, you inspired.

ShareThis