Sunday, November 23, 2008

Printing with Junk!

I love to teach, and I teach about once a month, but I always forget to bring a camera . . . I taught a Basic Beading class yesterday at DIY Lounge, and while I remembered to bring my camera, I forgot to take a single picture . . .

Last month, I taught a class called Printing with Junk . . . I had no camera, but one of my students, Emily, did . . . so, instead of sharing yesterday's class with you, I'm going to share a class with you from a month ago! We used recycled materials - and junk - to make cool prints. Here's Emily, the smart lady with the camera:

She's holding a print she made with a recycled plastic bag.

And here's another student and her plastic bag print.

Here's a print I made using an old piece of styrofoam - I carved it with a hot knife.


Here's a student inking up a heat moldable foam stamp. In the foreground, you can see a cut foam stamp glued on a peanut butter jar lid.


These prints are made with a combination of plastic bag prints and cut foam prints.


This print is so fun - a bubble wrap print in yellow, mixed up with cut-foam-on-peanut-butter-jar-lid print.


And, here's me!

This class was a lot of fun . . . and I'll be doing it again on January 14th. Maybe I'll see you there - with your camera!

6 comments:

gl. said...

nice, bridget! your students look SO happy!

Michael5000 said...

Way cool! Best use yet for scrap styrofoam....

Dayna Collins said...

Your ideas amaze me! This looks like a very fun class . . . ummm, January 14th, eh?

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Wow - very inspiring!!! I had the idea to print with odd materials a while ago but forgot about it - what a great reminder! I'd been looking for new rubber stamps but they were all too neat and tidy. What a great way to combine a "dirtier" print with something neat on top as well. Can I ask what you do with the plastic bags? Do you glue them to something before you print and do the prints look similar even though the material is soft?

♥ visit me at www.afiori.com

Serena Barton said...

Beautiful prints and they look so fun to do! Junk often makes the best art!

BoneFolder said...

You carve the styrofoam with a hot knife? That must smell good. I must say, now I don't feel bad about my respirator-in-the-kitchen day.

ShareThis