Sunday, February 15, 2009

I owe you an explaination . . . and it's free!

So even I have to admit that the last Demo was a little weak - amusing, but weak . . . . and in fact, the blog has been suffering from a bad case of overall neglect. I've had a couple of great ideas for demos, but haven't had time to photograph them and write them up.

I looked at last January's New Year's Blogolutions again recently, and had to laugh. About all I've had energy for recently is the low-attention span short sound-bite type of posting that Twitter requires. Blogging every day every other month? eek.

So I haven't been blogging, what have I been spending my extra time doing?

What have I been up to?

Well, I started a new part-time job . . . I've let go of the work that I was doing to exercise the other half of my brain, and I'm now working for the Small Business Development Center . . . they wanted somebody with experience teaching, someone with experience running a creative small business or two, and someone who could help them integrate creative thinking skills into their entrepreneurial curriculum. Check, check, and check. The Oregon Small Business Development Centers are all affiliated with Community Colleges (mine is affiliated with PCC, but our office is in Lloyd Center) and because they get funding from the Small Business Administration and Oregon Economic Development, the advising is free.

Yes, that's right. Free. If you've got a small business (50 or fewer employees) or are thinking of starting one, you can register at www.bizcenter.org, let us know what you need, and the administrators will get you hooked up with an advisor who fits your needs. I'm also doing free one-hour advising sessions at Souk in downtown Portland - you can call Julie at Souk at 503-517-6900 and she can get you hooked up.

I'm also going to be speaking at the BizArt Conference in Everett, WA, this coming weekend - giving a couple of workshops on how to apply your creativity to your business. I love making art, and I love helping other people do what they love and make a living at it, and I just wanted to let you all know what I've been up to.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled craftiness.

1 comment:

gl. said...

hey, wow! congrats on your SBDC gig! that sounds right up your alley, and it makes me happy to have a person there i can refer people to for creative businesses.

i'm on twitter, too, but it's just personal, not business.

ShareThis